Saturday, February 19, 2011

The G15/19 and World of WarCraft

Logitech G15 ver. 2
When the G15 was first released, logitech proudly showed off its macro abilities that the special G keys on the side could perform. Fully programmable keys were sure to help you play your character to its max. Now I am a WoW vetern. I've been playing since early BC and have racked up nearly 3k hours playing various classes. I decided I wanted the G15 so that it would help me play better. I found my version 2 G15 on ebay for around $40.

After a couple months of playing, the new keyboard didn't change anything. There was nothing new aside from the G keys that was worth utilizing. The G keys were in an akward place to begin with. However, I stumbled upon an extremely useful feature for the macros - the repeat option. My main toon was a rogue. I have clocked probably 75% of my game time playing rogues. Rogues have a lot of button mashing. In a rogue vs. rogue duel, getting the first sap off was extremely important. So I decided to use the G15's macros to make a sap macro that spams sap. It worked and I always got the first sap off.

Be sure that in WoW, you are using a sap macro from WoWWiki. One that is spammable that autoselects a close target. ie:
#showtooltip Sap
/console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
/targetenemy [noharm][dead]
/console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
/cast [harm,nodead] Sap

Here's how to do it.

First, double click the key profiler next to your clock on the taskbar. Click a G key and create a new macro.















Click the record button and press the key you have sap bound to once. Be sure it looks similar to the picture on the left. The arrows indicate the key pressing and releasing. Be sure both are there.
Click ok and when you press the G key, it perform sap once. Now we must make it repeat.






Right click the key and set the repeat options to while pressed. Now, when you hold down that key, it will spam your sap ability hundreds of times per second. So when dueling rogues, hold down the G key while you look around for the other rogue.
You can also use this concept for other abilities such as blind. Or, if you are another class, you can use it to find rogues.

DISCLAIMER: It is unclear whether or not this is against the rules in WoW. I am unaware of any bans that have been given out for using repeat options. I have been using it for a while and have not run into any trouble. Just beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment